The role of tgf-β signalling pathways as therapeutic targets in glioblastoma
Mohammad amin Dehghani
,1,* Saleh rasras
,2 Maryam shirani
,3 Fatemeh dehghani
,4 Seyyed hossein hassanpour
,5 Seyyedeh zeinab karami
1. Department of Toxicology, School of Pharmacy, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
2. Department of Neurosurgery, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
3. Department of Toxicology, School of Pharmacy, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
4. Department of Genetics, Faculty of Medicine, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
5. Young Researchers and Elite Club, Yasooj Branch, Islamic Azad University, Yasooj, Iran
6. Department of Biology, Faculty of Basic Sciences, Yasouj University, Yasouj, Iran
this study aimed to investigate the role of tgf-β in glioblastoma and to assess its value as a therapeutic factor.
we extracted all relevant studies of tgf-β signaling on the treatment of glioblastoma by searching electronic databases pubmed, embase, web of science from inception to feb 28,2017.
tgf-β plays a complex double part in the initiation of brain tumor, its development, progress, and malignancy. astonishingly, in carrying out its dual role, it acts as both a tumor suppressor and promoter. this review article exemplifies numerous contradictory accounts in the studied literature, stressing that additional consideration is vital in explaining how and when tgf-β changes from its suppressor role to acting as a promoter tgf-β plays a dual role in oncogenesis where it is a solid proliferation inhibitor of epithelial cells and astrocytes. furthermore, it is considered a factor of tumor suppression. diversely, tgf-β turns into an oncogenic element in some tumors, especially in high-grade glioma. the tgf-β has proven to play a vital part in invading tumor cells, including gbm.
in this review, we attempted to offer a comprehensive coverage of tgf-β and some related cytokines throughout the formation of glioblastoma and its development. the purpose of recent experimental methods is to introduce innovative cancer treatment methods that target the tgf-β pathway. finally, tgf-β signaling is closely associated with the development of glioblastoma and contributes to all key features of tumor cell biology.
Glioblastoma, tgf-β, smad, hgf/c-met, autophagy, immunosuppression