Serum levels of mmps and timps as markers in gastric adenocarcinoma
Seyed ali Ebrahimi
,1 Hanieh hosseinnezhad
,2 Fatemeh hoseinnezhad
,3,* Pouya ghaderi
,4 Abbas esmaeilzadeh
,5 Hamid reza raziee
1. Medical student,Student Research Committee,Faculty of Medicine, Mashhad Islamic Azad University, Mashhad, Iran
2. Gastric Cancer Research Group, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
3. Gastric Cancer Research Group, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
4. Gastric Cancer Research Group, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
5. Department of Internal Medicine, Imam Reza Hospital, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, IRAN
6. Gastric Cancer Research Group, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
In iran, the most commonly affected organ to cancer is gastrointestinal tract, particularly the stomach. one of the basic processes in tumor growth is proteolysis of surrounding tissue which is mediated by matrix metalloproteinase (mmps). an imbalance between mmps and tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinase (timps) expression, leads to pathological processes such as cancer metastasis. we evaluated the serum level of mmp2, mmp9, mmp10, and timp1&timp2 in patients with gastric adenocarcinoma to assess their association with clinicopathologic factors and patients survival.
In this case-control study, 38 patients with gastric adenocarcinoma who underwent gasterectomy in omid, imam reza and ghaem hospitals of mashhad, and 44 non-tumoral cases in whom gastric cancer was ruled out by gastroendoscopy were enrolled. the serum levels of mmps and timps, were measured using an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay (elisa).
Serum levels of mmp2, timp1&timp2 were significantly lower in patients with gastric cancer than in non-tumoral group (p˂0.001).there is no significant difference in serum level of mmp9 (p=1.00) between case and control groups, but proteolytic enzyme activity of mmp10 was increased in gastric cancer patients (p=0.042).no significant differences were seen between serum level of mmps and timps and differentiation, histologic type of cancer, distant metastasis and patients median survival rate.
Findings imply that decreased serum level of mmp2, timp1&timp2 and increased serum level of mmp10 were associated with gastric cancer. although there was no correlation between these markers and behavior of the gastric cancer. nevertheless further studies are needed to elucidate the role of these tumor markers in diagnosis and prognosis of gastric cancer.
Gastric adenocarcinoma; matrix metalloproteinase; tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinase;